PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner
Face-to-face duration: 5 days
PRINCE2® (PRojects IN Controlled Environments 2nd version) is an effective, structured, project management method covering the organisation, management and control of projects.
The course is designed to:
- Introduce participants to PRINCE2 project management methodology and lead them through a series of practical activities so that by the end of the course they have a competent understanding of PRINCE2
- Prepare candidates for the PRINCE2 Foundation Examination
- Build upon the competence gained in the Foundation Certification to apply and tailor PRINCE2 to address the needs and problems of a given project scenario
- Prepare candidates for the PRINCE2® Practitioner Examination.
This workshop is for people who want to develop their project management skills in an intensive hands-on environment where they can learn from the experience and insight of experienced project managers.
PRINCE2® Foundation Certification
- Understand and apply PRINCE2 in the work environment
- Increase consistency in the way projects are delivered
- Gain a thorough understanding of core principles, themes and processes required to deliver projects with certainty
- Achieve greater awareness and involvement in project justification, governance and escalation
- Understand proactive risk management
- Prepare candidates for the PRINCE2 Foundation Examination
Following the successful completion of the PRINCE2 Foundation Certification, candidates can continue on to complete the PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification Exam. The Practitioner workshop provides candidates with a solid understanding of the PRINCE2 concepts and techniques required for the examination.
PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification
- Expand understanding of principles and philosophies underpinning PRINCE2
- Provide detailed explanations of PRINCE2 elements, their relationships and their application in different project environments
- Gain experience in applying PRINCE2 in different project environments
- Understand how PRINCE2 can be effectively applied to address the needs and problems of a specific project scenario
- Prepare candidates for PRINCE2 Practitioner Examination
For the PRINCE2 Foundation Certification it is expected that candidates already have some thorough knowledge and practical experience in the application of project management principles.
Candidates seeking to attain the PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification must have previously attained the PRINCE2 Foundation Certification.
This workshop is targeted at those seeking to develop their skills and knowledge in the application of PRINCE2 methodology and those who seek to be employed as:
- Project team members
- Project records officer
- Project administrator
- Project support
- Project analyst
- Communications liaison
- Project assistant
- Contracts officer
- Project coordinator
- Small business operator in a wide range of industries
- Estimator and scheduler
- Project officer
- Quality officer
- Project manager (generic)
- Program manager
- Project manager (industry specific)
- Project director
- Project portfolio manager
- Senior project leader
- Face-to-face delivery of theory
- Facilitated discussions
- Individual and group activities
- PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner Exams
The workshop has been structured to be delivered over five (5) days. It has been designed by our senior trainers and PRINCE2 Practitioners who combine industry experience with academic excellence.
The learning has been structured as an interactive workshop-based training environment focusing on the application of PRINCE2 under different project environments and scenarios. Review and revision sessions of all PRINCE2 elements are included throughout the workshop.
Participants will receive a student manual with all reference material, PowerPoint presentations and activities with techniques for both examinations.
The PRINCE2 Foundation Exam is a 1-hour closed book, multiple-choice exam. There are 60 questions and candidates must score 55% (33 marks or more) to pass the exam.
The PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam is a 2.5-hour open book exam (official PRINCE2 Manual only), using objective test questions that require candidates to choose one response to a question from a set of choices presented in the following styles: classical multiple choice; yes/no; matching; sequencing.
There are 68 questions and candidates must score approximately 55% (38 marks or more) to pass the exam.
Note: Homework and evening study is highly recommended to prepare for the exams.
Institute of Management is an AXELOS Accredited Training Organisation and will conduct the exam on behalf of the Accredited Examination Institute PeopleCert, subject to their terms and conditions.
Program Outline - Foundation
- Overview Refresher of Project Management Principles
- Projects in context
- PRINCE2 in 10 minutes
- Roles and responsibilities - organisation
- Project Justification - Business Case
- Opportunities and Threats - Risk
- Scoping a Project - Starting Up a Project
- Project Governance - Directing a Project and Progress
- Planning in PRINCE2 - Plans
- Fitness for Purpose - Quality
- Defining a Project - Initiating a Project
- Iterations - Managing a Stage Boundary
- Day-to-day Control - Controlling a Stage and Managing Product Delivery
- Protecting Project Assets - Change
- Controlled Closure - Closing a Project
- PRINCE2 Summary
- Exam Technique
- Foundation Examination
Program Outline - Practitioner
- Pre-workshop reading
- Exam tips
- Objectives of the course
- Practitioner exam details
- Types of questions
- Exam techniques
Scenario Activities - Controlled Start - Starting-up
- Activity 1 - Organisation
- Activity 2 - Project Brief
- Activity 3 - CQE and Accept Criteria
Scenario Activities - Controlled Start - Initiation
- Activity 4 - Risk Analysis
- Activity 5 - Benefits
- Activity 6 - Product Description
Scenario Activities - Controlled Progress
- Activity 7 - Work Package
- Activity 8 - Quality Review
- Activity 9 - Issues
- Activity 10 - Exceptions
Scenario Activities - Controlled End
- Activity 11 - Abnormal Termination
- Sample Practitioner Questions - practice
- Practitioner Exam
- Best Management Practice Stable
- Understanding the Application of the Process to Smaller Projects
- Course Evaluation Questionnaire